Environmental Initiative is a nonprofit organization that builds partnerships to develop collaborative solutions to Minnesota’s environmental problems. We create a safe space where people with different perspectives come together, learn, discuss, reach agreement, and implement environmental solutions in partnership. We bring people together to problem-solve.
The Communications Director is responsible for planning, development, and implementation of all branding, communications, and public relations activities in support of Environmental Initiative’s mission and organizational priorities. The Communications Director works closely with staff, board members, and other external partners to create and execute strategic communications activities that effectively reach a broad range of audiences – including businesses, nonprofits, government agencies, donors, and the media. The Communications Director is responsible for maintaining and raising the organization’s profile and influence as well as positioning the organization as a trusted leader and effective collaborator that does important work and accomplishes meaningful goals.
In addition to overseeing organizational communications, the communications director has responsibility for advising strategy and coordination of communications activities at the project level. This position also coordinates closely with the Development Director to support major fundraising activities including bi-annual individual donor campaigns and grant writing.
The position is currently full-time and reports to the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
Communications, Public Relations, and Brand Management
- Leads media relations strategy and implementation activities for the organization and for all projects.
- Develops and manages annual communications budget.
- Develops and oversees the organization’s brand including consistent deployment of the organization’s style guide, brand assets, and project brand guidelines. Provides guidance for consistent use of brand assets to staff, board members, and external partners.
- Directs and participates in the creation of all communications materials including publications, brochures, reports, presentations as aligned with organizational priorities and project communications plans.
- Assists the Executive Director and other staff with various communications and marketing duties, such as board communications, presentations, media relations, and special communications projects as requested.
- Uses data to provide analysis and reporting of communications effectiveness and works with the team on continuous improvement of results.
- Manages vendor relationships for outsourced communications projects and activities.
- Provides strategic guidance and oversight over email data management for current CRM (NEON) and online email market systems (MailChimp).
- Supervises Environmental Initiative’s Communications Associate, who is responsible for event marketing and day-to-day communications strategies and tactics across the organization’s owned channels (social media, email, website, etc.).
- Partners with project leads to develop and understand specific goals and audiences to create individual project communications plans. Assists with project planning, budget and work plan development, and implementation of project communications plans, as needed.
- Leads or co-leads communications team meetings for Clean Air Minnesota and Minnesota Sustainable Growth Coalition partnerships. Communications teams for both of these projects include external partners representing businesses, nonprofit organizations, and government agencies.
General Operating Fundraising
- Assists Development Director with the development and execution of mid-year and year-end individual donor campaigns – including campaign strategy and content across all owned channels.
- Assists Development Director with general operating grant writing. Writes and edits general operating letters of inquiry, organizational membership renewal letters, and other funding proposals as directed.
- Works with Development Director and Designer and Engagement Director to prepare marketing and communications materials for membership and sponsorship fundraising.
- Serves as a key member of the staff team responsible for organizing activities around Environmental Initiative’s 25th Anniversary in 2017.
- Co-leads volunteer communications and development task force that advises Environmental Initiative staff on fundraising and communications strategies.
- Collaborates with Executive Director and other staff to develop and implement strategic direction for Environmental Initiative.
- Serves as a member of the organization’s management team, making strategic and tactical decisions on staffing, finance, potential projects, communications, and fundraising.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of communications, public relations, marketing, or related experience
- Creative and talented writer, editor, and verbal communicator
- Thrives in an environment that requires management of multiple projects, deadlines, and priorities simultaneously
- Experience successfully supporting fundraising campaigns and initiatives
- Demonstrated experience and success interfacing with members of the press to gain earned media coverage
- Ability to build effective, collaborative relationships with organizational leadership, board, staff, media and external partners
- Ability to assimilate and analyze information from a variety of sources and recommend a course of action based on that information
- Creative problem solver with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Experience managing and supervising staff
- Proficient with Mac computer systems and Microsoft Office software
- Master’s degree preferred
- Working knowledge of the AP Stylebook
- Working knowledge and experience with the Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Experience in blog and website management using WordPress, Joomla, Drupal or other content management systems. Working knowledge of HTML is a plus.
- Experience or familiarity with constituent relationship management (CRM) and email marketing software. Environmental Initiative currently uses NEON CRM and MailChimp.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be open until filled. Submit your cover letter, resume, and three writing samples to:
211 North First Street, Suite 250
Minneapolis, MN 55401