Environmental Initiative is a nonprofit organization that works with business, nonprofit, and government leaders to develop collaborative solutions to Minnesota’s environmental problems. The organization:
- Plans and hosts events for environmental leaders from businesses, nonprofits, and government agencies to share information, network, and learn from one another.
- Facilitates environmental policy conversations between diverse stakeholders.
- Takes action and implements on the ground projects to improve our air, land, and water.
As a catalyst, convener, or implementer, Environmental Initiative develops creative solutions to environmental problems with our partners. Read more about who we are on our website.
The Project Manager leads at least one ongoing project and provides essential support to program and project leads on a variety of other current Environmental Initiative projects. The position includes responsibility for planning, managing, and evaluating existing and emerging projects. In addition, the Project Manager serves as a primary point of contact for existing partners and funders, and assists in the development of new relationships with key contacts. The position reports to Environmental Initiative’s Director, Sustainability Program.
Initial projects could include:
- Playing a critical supporting role on the Minnesota Sustainable Growth Coalition, including leading aspects of the project’s clean energy work
- Supporting the Business & Environment Series
- Supporting the development of a Business-to-Business Mentorship program focused on reducing waste in the commercial sector
- Supporting a new project focused on advancing sustainability in the local craft brewing industry
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Project Leadership and Management
- Lead and manage projects including project design, developing and managing work plans and budgets, identifying, tracking and evaluating project outcomes, and directing project team members.
- Coordinate events and/or project-related meetings including agenda development, identification of strategy and objectives, facilitating discussion, and leading follow-up activities.
- Develop and maintain a diverse network of strong relationships between individuals from the environmental nonprofit, government, and business communities.
- Serve as a key contact for external partners on sustainability projects.
- Provide project reports and updates to the Executive Director and the Environmental Initiative Board of Directors as needed.
Communications, Organizational Strategy & Support
- Support project directors and project leads in the implementation of multiple projects at any given time, primarily focused on sustainability.
- Work with Communications Director, Executive Director and other staff to plan and execute project communications.
- Participate in oral and written communication of project and organizational updates and outcomes to Environmental Initiative partners and the public (potentially including blog posts, email newsletter updates, event marketing communications, written project reports, and outreach and education presentations).
- Conduct research and produce reports synthesizing research findings.
- Maintain written and oral communication with external project partners.
- Participate with other staff in reaching out to and recruiting new external partners.
- Keep abreast of emerging trends and issues related to sustainable business and the environment through reading, research, and engagement with the broader community of sustainability and environmental professionals.
- Participate with other staff in planning and evaluating projects, including the development of measurable goals and project milestones.
- Collaborate with Executive Director and other staff to develop and implement strategic direction for Environmental Initiative.
- Participate in staff and board dialogues and meetings.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- At least three years of experience managing complex environmental projects, including managing budgets, leading project teams, and convening and facilitating meetings
- Expertise in renewable energy and energy policy preferred
- Knowledge of a broad range of sustainability issues, including knowledge of how environmental issues impact the private sector, sustainable business practices, and/or sustainable development
- Experience working in collaborative, cross sector environments to facilitate conversations or solve problems among individuals with diverse perspectives
- Experience building and directing projects with diverse funding sources and cross-sector partnerships
- Highly skilled and effective communicator comfortable with meeting facilitation, public speaking, and written communications
- Self-starter, with the ability to work independently and be self-guided
- Creative problem solver, entrepreneurial spirit, and comfort with exploring and experimenting with innovative solutions
- Outstanding team player and preference for working in teams
- Ability to simultaneously think strategically and “big picture,” and manage logistical details effectively
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to juggle multiple projects at one time
- Proficient with Mac computer systems and Microsoft Office
Submit your cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and a brief writing sample (1-3 pages) to:
Director, Sustainability Program
211 North First Street, Suite 250
Minneapolis, MN 55401
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be open until filled.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Database management
We are looking for a volunteer to help us with database management. We are planning to move to a new CRM in the next year and want to make sure our data is up-to-date. We need someone to reach out to individuals, via email and phone, in our database to gather their information.
This work can be done in our office or remotely. We would set you up with an Environmental Initiative email address and a list for outreach. The duration of this opportunity is flexible and will end when the project is finished.
If interested, contact Sacha Seymour-Anderson. Please send a resume along with a brief statement of interest (250 words or less).
Stay informed on current and future openings by receiving our monthly newsletter. Sign up here »