Environmental Initiative is a nonprofit organization that builds partnerships to develop collaborative solutions to Minnesota’s environmental problems. We create a safe space where people with different perspectives come together, learn, discuss, reach agreement, and implement environmental solutions in partnership. We bring people together to problem-solve. Learn more »
Environmental Initiative is seeking a part-time (15-20 hours per week), temporary, Communications Associate to help support a dynamic and growing nonprofit. The Communications Associate will help raise Environmental Initiative’s profile and influence by executing communications strategies and tactics on the organization’s website, blog, email, and social media platforms. The Communications Associate with work closely with and report to Environmental Initiative’s Communications Director.
The ideal candidate is an exceptional writer, editor, and communicator committed to Environmental Initiative’s collaborative approach to solving environmental problems.
This position is guaranteed through December 2016. Work beyond December 2016 is contingent upon future funding. Environmental Initiative will also provide pro-rated benefits for this position.
- Curate, write, and post content to Environmental Initiative’s social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Manage relationships and interactions across Environmental Initiative’s social networks.
- Assist with management of Environmental Initiative’s website and blog including writing, editing, posting, and recruiting guest blog authors.
- Assist with writing, editing, and formatting of event marketing emails and event website language for Environmental Initiative’s Business & Environment Series and Policy Forum Series events. Assist with partner outreach and event cross-promotion activities for Environmental Initiative events. Provide other communications support to Environmental Initaitive event teams.
- Provide communications support to the Minnesota Environmental Fund through committee service or implementation of specific communications tasks.
- Draft and edit materials that support Environmental Initiative’s projects and programs. This may include media releases, newsletter content, presentations, spoken remarks, or other print and digital content.
- Serve as a member of the organization’s communications and fundraising team.
- Enter timesheets on a daily basis, allocating time to multiple billable project categories.
- Participate in regular staff and board meetings.
- Follow all applicable Environmental Initiative policies and procedures, including the internal office sustainability plan.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least one year of communications, public relations, marketing, or related experience
- Passionate and talented writer, editor, and verbal communicator
- Demonstrated skills and experience managing social media in a professional context
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to juggle multiple projects at one time
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software
- Experience in blog and website management using WordPress, Joomla, Drupal or other content management systems. Working knowledge of HTML is a plus.
- Experience or familiarity with constituent relationship management (CRM) and email marketing software. Environmental Initiative currently uses NEON CRM and MailChimp.
- Working knowledge and experience with the Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
Submit your cover letter, resume, three writing samples, and three professional references to:
211 North First Street, Suite 250
Minneapolis, MN 55401
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be open until filled.